Popular Posts

Saturday 22 November 2014

Bali Hut gets a makeover


My poolside Bali hut/cabana/gazebo had an African Reed Thatch roof I replaced this roof about 8 years ago, even paid extra for a treatment to prolong its life. It has been falling to bits for years making a terrible mess of the pool deck and pool. Providing no protection for the outdoor furniture which has deteriorated as a result. Time for a makeover. Not African reed this time, too expensive and fails miserably with a very short life span. Looks good for 2 years tops and then it creates enormous amount if work for you. This time I've opted for a hairy hut synthetic product. Looks authentic with a 20 year guarantee. Uv stabilised and won't mould rot or fly to bits, a tiny bit more expensive but should see us out!
First you have to remove the old tiles, what a mess! In your hair, eyes and cleavage;-(( me on the ladder Richo on the blower trying to keep the crud out of the pool. Dust off the bars and rails and ready for its new hat!
First rows on. Looks like Friar Tuck. The clips which are supposed to slip straight on like last time. They don't, each one has to be prized open and belted on. My hands took a hammering with that procedure, cuts scratches and bruises. Sweaty hands sipping off red hot tools, did I mention the temperature was 40 + degrees Celsius. What the hell was I thinking. Had to wrestle with each tile and there were 42 of them, 6 clips each and everyone of them extracted a curse from me. Jump into the pool frequently to try and cool off. Can't wear a hat to do it because a hat won't fit through the bars but a head will. I seriously don't remember it being this difficult last time. Mind you I didn't have a rebuilt ankle that wasn't happy about standing on a ladder then and it wasn't hot. The tiles were easier to manage and install. Everyone of the new ones had to be cajoled into
Place.
Second row on and the hut isn't the only thing with Hair on it  grrrrr!!!! Is it getting hotter or is it just me?
The break for lunch resulted in me laying under a fan with a wet washer to try and cool off. Head pounding from the heat, hands cut and bleeding and me wishing the gazebo roofing fairies would visit and make the project go away. Yay the last tiles are bing savaged into place time for the hairy top hat. How on earth are we going to get that up there? It's heavy and large there is a howling boiling hot nor'easter wind blowing. Richo decided to stick it circus juggling plate style on the end of the pool Cleaning wand handle and snooker it into place. I can't believe it worked, him On top Of the ladder, leaning over the structure with a hand full of hairy hut  hair and me trying to balance the heavy unstable top cone on the end of a 12' pole while the wind was trying to deposit it on my head. I can't believe Richo and I are still friends after that manoeuvre. The thing is built, we both have pounding headaches from the heat and the excercise. Richo fixed his with a couple of beers, while I tried to stay under water for as long as possible to cool my face and head. One of the few times I have wished for cooler water. But I did discover my fishing hat holds water and dumped on your head is quite cooling. We must've looked a sight.
There it is finished, doesn't look too bad hope my Christmas Visitors appreciate it. At least the new teak outdoor setting will be protected and it will provide a respite  from the northern summer sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment