Popular Posts

Friday 23 January 2015

Go Figga!

My neighbour called me really early and asked me to help harvest her figs. Seems the birds and flying foxes AKA Fruit Bats (so called for obvious reasons) had just discovered a way to circumvent her netting protection. If she didn't get in quick there would be none left. So off we went in the rain to pick figs. They are delicious. Fat juicy sweet. A tiny twist of the wrist and the ripe ones pop straight into your eagerly waiting hand. I then watched her slice them on hot buttered raisin toast and drizzle them with honey, for her breakfast. The honey came from her brothers farm and a new breakfast dish was born.
I was rewarded with a small basket full of them and having Mascarpone Cheese in my fridge I decided to turn mine into a crisp free form galette with honey and mascarpone. Strong coffee and a small pot of dipping yoghurt to serve yummmm YUMMMM YUMMMM http://youtu.be/9MORuSYY-R8
Now we adore Fig Jam and had we realised the resourcefulness of Fruit Bats and Birds I just may have been able to bring that recipe to you too. There is always next year. We were very happy with our little Rustic Fig Tart, which only used 5 ingredients, one of those ingredients was a little scrap piece of whole meal flour pastry we kept in the freezer for later use. This was really too small a quantity for anything else and was simply perfect for out morning tea for 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment