Popular Posts

Thursday 22 October 2015

Malaysian Holiday Goodbye Malaysia day 15 Cheekyricho travel diary.

Today we check out of our lovely hotel and head back home. A breakfast swim. A walk and a refreshing shower in a dedicated room after check out was very welcome. A shuttle bus to the airport with many hours to spare. We ate our home made egg and lettuce roll with a bottle of still partially frozen water. It was fresh, healthy, satisfying, cheap and simple to make.
This was where the worst part of the journey begins.
We had previously checked into our flight but the AirAsia baggage drop off counter was a joke. Exceptionally long, painfully slow queue put an end to any hopes of taking the shuttle bus to an outlet centre nearby for a last minute wander. People pushing in at the counter in front of me after we had already waited an extraordinarily long time had me hot under the collar. Some guy pushed into me and told me he was running late and would just go in front of me, flashing his airline ticket at me. I am the most placid, generous patient person I know but that was the last straw. I told him "No!" He just kept pushing, by my third even louder "no"!! He got the message and went off to hassle someone else. 
This little sick boy was crawling around coughing a very phlegmy cough with thick  streams of mucous streaming from his nose, touching everyone and everything. He was very unwell and unhappy his parents did nothing to comfort or control him. I hoped he wasn't on our flight because whatever was ailing him was really nasty and We did not want to catch it. 
There was this incredibly loud band playing live music close by the baggage counter. You couldn't hear yourself think or the important instructions being given by a softly spoken staff member in very broken English. AirAsia dump the stupid band and put in some more counter staff. It's an airport not a bloody rock concert!!!
It was off to the tax refund counter, my day just got worse! The one and only attendant was playing on his phone and made me stand in line for a good 5 minutes. Ignoring me and I was his only customer. He refused to accept all but one of my receipts because some shops were not accredited with their private, not government run company, tax refund system. Or the sales staff at one shop in particular had entered my ID details incorrectly. There was no dispute about the legitimacy of any of the receipts or that they belonged to me but this was the first time I encountered anyone sticking to the rules so diligently in a country where absolutely everything including red lights, speed limits, work safety, hygiene and building codes were treated as purely advisory. This man refused to valdate 4 of my claims. The only one he did accept was duly stamped but I then had to take it somewhere else to be refunded. This other counter was out of the way to my boarding gate and get this. I have to wait 5 more days to get my refund on my credit card, it's not even a cash refund. All this  trouble for a refund of $5.25 AUD which was the smallest claim and when they refused to accept legitimate much more valuable claims. I told the attendant I was sick Of being ripped off in Malaysia and he thought that was very funny. That's Malaysian customer service for you.
The plane was on time, however, you have to go through the boarding gate in a plane full of passengers lined up to be sent back out to pick up your duty free purchases outside the gate, then queue again. Onto the plane, it was hot, crowded. And aircon was all over the place hot  short bursts of cool air Followed by more sweaty heat. The only constantly maintained temperature was in the toilet. How long can you spend in there? Remember the snot  laden sick toddler I told you about, well he is now 4 rows in front of us, he screamed for the next 7.5 hours Barr one hour after they put the lights on to wake everyone to sell them drinks they were out of stock of. No gin on the way to Malaysia and now no gin on the way back, oh and only 1 can of tonic. Considering there is less than 6 varieties of spirits available on board you would think who ever is in charge of stock would have organised the supply a little better. You can purchase food  and beverages in either Aussie dollars or Malaysian Ringghits but your change will only be in Malaysian Ringghits, they're going to come in handy upon your return to Australia on an Australian bound flight. 

   I understand sometimes you have to travel when you're sick but this little boy did not get any rest so he did not do any healing. Most of his screaming appeared to be about him wanting to be with his mother and his father forbidding it because when his mother held him and walked around the plane she allowed him to play with the toilet doors and every public surface with mucous laden hands. Not once did she wipe his nose, hands or restrict him from spreading germs amongst her fellow passengers. If the other passengers survive this flight without getting very sick it will be a miracle.
Richo asked for some ice for his drink 4 hours ago, I can assume it's not coming because we are about to land and it's still not here.
I do hope the young lass sitting in the seat next to  US. Is feeling better soon she vomited into her air sick bag all night. Richo thinks it's airsickness I hope he's right. I felt so sorry for her travelling alone and crammed in to a tiny seat next to a stranger and trying to be sick discreetly. This is the first time we have been quizzed and warned and required to make declarations regarding Ebola and our possible exposure to the deadly disease. I really hope that girl hasn't been to Africa.

Touch down in Australia to 20 degrees Celsius. Everybody who winge-ed about the temperature and had the aircon turned to a sweltering sweaty, uncomfortable temperature all managed to find suitable clothing in their carry on bags whilst waiting at the baggage carousel, where the selfish ignorance continued. Perhaps it's my fault, I stood back at the line allowing people access to collect their bags as they approached I just didn't expect a man to manoeuvre  not one but two bag trolleys to the carousel completely blocking access to everyone else collecting their bags and his weren't even in sight yet.! I saw people muscle in with their children who were incapable of collecting a bag and the gathering of passengers was so thick, I have a bright pink bag and almost missed it because I could not see through the crowd of people jammed shoulder to shoulder along the carousel and were indignant if some one tried to collect their bag past them. Someone should teach these people manners and courtesy and do it quickly.
Here ends my rant. I have been travelling for 22 hours I am sweaty hot and overtired. I have seen more incidences of blatantly rude, selfish,  arrogant and obnoxious behaviour by people in service areas, fellow passengers and airport staff than is good for you. Bad management, stupid systems and inefficient procedures also contributed to a most unpleasant journey. 
Makes me want go camping away from humans to regain a sense of calm. Crowds breed disease, crime,  contempt and ignorance. You will never convince me there is safety in numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment